birding-aus

Werribee Treatment Plant

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Werribee Treatment Plant
From: "Jacqui & Rob" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:44:56 +1100
Fortunately we arrived early  at WTP this morning and were able to complete
a fairly successful day before the weather set in. It wasn't even very windy
there today.
        We started at the eastern side down K-Road with the beautiful
outlook over the Werribee River cliffs. This is a great place to start the
day with the view always impressive, the morning sun behind us, and  picnic
tables for morning tea.
        From this vantage point we had a clear view of the Night Herons
which always seem to be perched in the gums opposite. The tide was out just
enough  to leave mud edges for the Red Kneed and Black Fronted Dotterels,
and even a Common Sandpiper, and  Ibis and egrets. The trees above us
provided perches for the Sacred Kingfisher, Red Rumped Parrot, and several
other  bush birds. This cliff spot is also a great spot to see raptors at
nearly eye level, but today we were only treated to a Swamp Harrier from
here. Many Fairy Martins were busy feeding young in the bottle nests on the
cliffs. Within half an hour we were delighted to have listed  26 species.
        If you haven't been to this spot it is well worth the slight
diversion, taking the Werribee Sth turn off, turn right at the next
intersection, and immediately right again into K Road.
        With 5 of us on board , including  Queensland visitor Wendy Dunn who
had spotted the Northern Shoveller at Edithvale, we all became quite excited
when we thought for a minute we had found one at the Paradise Ponds. Alas,
it turned around amongst the Shelduck and we couldn't find the one with the
large white breast again!   Freckled Duck were numerous, several Cape Barren
Geese, about 8 Bar Tailed Godwit, but find of the day was really close ,
long views of a very busy, and aggressive Wood Sandpiper at Paradise Ponds.
   It was great to see such a rich habitat filled with birdlife again.

Jacqui and Rob Sheppard,

---