birding-aus

Birdline South Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline South Australia Weekly Update
Date: 4 Feb 2013 01:31:53 +1000

Birdline South Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 3 Feb 2013.

Sun 3 Feb Square-tailed Kite, Crested Shrike-tit, Diamond Firetail Altona CSR Landcare Reserve
Square-tailed Kite (1) One bird came in low circling over the top of me then headed of in a SW direction. Crested Shrike-tit (3) Two adults feeding a fledged juvenile Diamond Firetail (14) Many birds all over the reserve... including a pair building a nest in an old Magpies nest!
Chris Steeles

Sat 2 Feb Square-tailed Kite Cobbler Creek Recreation Park
Square-tailed Kite (1) Super excited to find one of these over the suburbs! First seen quartering low over the Eucalypt canopy whilst driving up the hill... but wasn't sure whether it was a Kite or Harrier as I only got quick views! It got the better of me and after finding somewhere to do a u-turn I wen't back! Luckily it was still there hunting low over the trees... so I was able to get some ID shots whilst it was being harassed by a couple of Magpies proving it to be a Square-tail as my suspicion's had suggested! Always a good day when you come across one of the rarest birds in SA... and even more unusual to find it in suburbia!
Chris Steeles

Eastern Reef Egret Hallett Cove Beach
Eastern Reef Egret (1) Adult dark morph foraging amongst rocks at mouth of creek. This species is seldom recorded for this locality.
Edward Smith 1688

Wed 30 Jan Black-chinned Honeyeater Victor Harbour 10' Cell
Black-chinned Honeyeater (1) Foraging in large Red Gums along Gum Avenue.
Nat Doecke

Tue 29 Jan Freckled Duck, Australasian Shoveler Tanunda Sewage Ponds
Freckled Duck (3) Spotted and photographed a pair in one of the middle upper ponds and 1 single bird photographed in the larger lower pond! Australasian Shoveler (20) Maybe more... hard to keep track of whilst counting!
Chris Steeles

Barbary Dove Hallet Cove Beach.
An adult Barbary Dove perched on a roof top antenna at the corners of Grand Central Road and Heron Crescent, Hallett Cove. A Collared Sparrowhawk flew in from nowhere and swooped towards the dove just missing it by a fraction . Miraculously the dove evaded sudden death and escaped.
Edward Smith

Sun 27 Jan Sacred Kingfisher Paris Creek
Observed a pair of Sacred Kingfishers dropping on grasshoppers from a fence line vantage point. Both were in excellent condition with full plumage.
Robert Jolly

Thu 24 Jan Banded Lapwing Halfway between Finniss and Milang
Approximately 20 Banded Lapwings in the company of several Masked Lapwingsscattered around a small dam and surrounding paddock halfway between Finniss and Milang, Haven't seen them around locally for many years. A friend went back the following day and they had all gone.
Martin Stokes

Birdline South Australia is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.