Frequently Asked Questions

Semester 2, 2016

Published - 26 April 2016

Updated - 26 April 2016

This page deals with several of the frequently asked questions the Student Office has received for the current semester. 

Skip straight to advice on timetable clashes

There is no lecturer allocated to a course I am enrolled in, or interested in enrolling in, what should I do?

The allocation will be published as soon as they are known. 

How do I find out if a course is cancelled?

If a course is cancelled then this will be reflected on the Class Timetable and enrolled students will be advised about the cancellations via a system message.  If a course is not cancelled on the Class Timetable then we anticipate that the course is running, however, the deadline for the School to cancel a course is not until 1 week before semester commences. 

Cancellations that close to the start of semester are rare.

I have enrolled in the web lecture of a course and I cannot see this in my Class Timetable?

If you have enrolled in the web lecture then this will not be listed in your Class Timetable as there will be no room allocated to this lecture. If you scroll down the bottom of the Class Schedule Summary you will see the lecture listed as 'WEB' and under Day/Time you will see 'TBA'. You are required to listen to the lecture recordings in your own time and place.

I would like to have a requisite waived, what should I do?

You should email the Lecture in Charge for a requisite waiver approval if you can demonstrate that you have sufficient knowledge of the requisite material. If approved, then you can forward the Lecturer’s approval on to the CSE Student Office and we will enrol you manually. Specify which class you would like and also include your UNSW Student ID.

You will need to acknowledge that a requisite waiver is not grounds for special consideration in the event you perform poorly.

I would like to overload, what should I do?

Note that overloading is never recommended as even the best students struggle with the extra units of credit. However students who have a strong WAM can contact the CSE Student Office specifying the course they wish to enrol into with class time/s, confirm they take full responsibility for the additional workload, acknowledge that overloading is not grounds for special consideration and confirm they are aware of the financial and academic deadlines for dropping a course.

I have contacted the Lecturer for a timetable clash approval or a requisite waiver and he hasn’t responded yet, what should I do?

You should give the lecturer five (5) working days to respond to your email, if the lecturer has not replied after these days then you may send them a reminder email. If you did not receive a reply within five working days after the reminder email then you can forward the email on to the CSE Student Office and we will try to contact the lecturer on your behalf.

I would like to change programs, what should I do?

If you are an undergraduate student currently studying at UNSW then you may apply for a program transfer via the two following methods:

*UAC is only available to domestic students.

For more information on the difference between IPT via myUNSW and UAC you should check the Faculty of Engineering website.

For more information on the IPT Application Period and the IPT Acceptance Period you should check the UNSW Key Dates.

Can I already enrol into courses for the program I wish to transfer to?

You may enrol in any course as long as the requisites are observed, however you should review your enrolment after the IPT Acceptance Period and before the start of semester to ensure the courses you selected will count towards the program you are enrolled in.

I would like to have advice on my course selection, what should I do?

Selecting your courses for the coming semester can be challenging. A good starting point is to consult the program structure outlined on our website here.

Once you know the core courses and/or electives you want to enrol in, you can consult the UNSW Handbook for course descrpitions, and the UNSW Timetable to determine availability and class times.

Students should also check the CSE Enrolment Advice page. 

Does CSE offer any courses during the Winter Break?

CSE does NOT offer any courses during the Winter Break (June-July). 

Does CSE offer any courses during the Summer Break?

Yes, CSE offers COMP1927 - Computing 2. Summer Semester enrolments open in October.