birding-aus

Warrumbungles, central New South Wales

Subject: Warrumbungles, central New South Wales
From: Trevor Quested <>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 97 21:30:28 +1000 (EST)
Just back from an excellent weekend in the Warrumbungles. Dunno if we saw
any great birds really although Annie probably got a few lifers.

Best birds were probably the koalas. Just love em. I climbed a tree so to be
level with one and 2 metres away. Click went the Nikon, click, click, click.

It is a big statement but... I think the Warrumbungle National Park is one
of the best. It is so scenic, it has a very good amenities and most of the
tracks are easy walks. For photographers there is a natural stone bird bath
at the rear of Visitors Centre and with the dry weather there were lots of
birds visiting.

We saw 15 species of honeyeater and 79 species altogether. The best area for
birds was Burbie Creek. On two mornings it was alive with birds. Over the
road here about 20 White-backed Swallows (they are so cute) were circling.
Saw a Budgie with a flock of Red-rumped Parrots. No raptors which was
interesting. There was a male juv. Rufous Whistler feeding a fledgling.

Spotlighting didn't produce anything exciting. 1 ring-tailed possum, 2 Tawny
Frogmouths, 2 Koalas, 1 Noisy Friarbird and 1 Crested Shrike-tit. In a creek
we saw a small marsupial mouse but didn't get enough on it. The place is
crawling with Boobooks and a Barn Owl called twice over the camp ground
around 4am.

The view from Whitegum Lookout is spectacular.
Trevor Quested & Annie Young
Sydney, Australia
phone 02 9955 6266
fax 02 9959 4005