birding-aus

birding-aus Bird Tourism

Subject: birding-aus Bird Tourism
From: David Siems <>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:56:47 +1100
 Hi Netters,
            Just some of my info on birding.
            All my life I have been interested in birds. Whenever I
travelled I would check out birds and when overseas I would film them with
my trusty 8mm movie camera. My early overseas trips in the '70s were paid
for by breeding Gouldian Finches. Seven cages 2m by 6m would produce 100
pair each year. All cages and birds removed by 1980.
            About 16 years ago I planned a trip that would take in Kashmir,
Norway, England and Egypt. I checked out the Sydney University paper to do a
10 week course on Egyption history so I would have a better understanding
when touring.
            To my surprise there was an ad, Terry Lindsay "Birdwatching for
Beginners". So I booked a place and did the course with Terry and then the
big surprise, he suggested to the group to join a bird club. Bird club?, all
the years I was interested in birds and I didn't know they were there. Is
the problem birdwatching is still a secret to the general public?
            Being a member of a club opened up a whole new world of outings,
campouts, pelagics, overseas birding, bird photography, twitching, new
friends both here and overseas now by e-mail. During the 16 years of birding
I have met numerous people out birdwatching who didn't know about a bird
club. Just last Saturday in Centennial Park in Sydney during an outing led
by Ern Hosking and filmed by Channel 9 for A Current Affiar, there was a
couple with their bins and bird book. Are you a birdwatching group they
asked? Yes, we are having a club outing. We didn't know there were
birdwatching clubs was the reply and happily joined in for the day and
asking a barrage of questions.
            Having worked in Outdoor Advertising a long while and now
retired, do we need to take our bird club advertising to the public by way
of advertising, for example, on railway stations setting out all that is
available in bird clubs. At Town Hall railway station in Sydney in 1990, my
last year with State Rail, the number of passenger journeys through the
station per year was 26 million. An ad at the station may stop birding being
a secret and open up a whole new way of life for many future birders.

All the Best
David Siems
Sydney, Australia
Phone: +61 (0)2 9759 1891