birding-aus

This is probably a pain, but...

To: <>
Subject: This is probably a pain, but...
From: "Purcell's" <>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 14:16:31 +1100
Sorry if this is annoying - but maybe someone can help. Near my tennis club, South Gisborne, I keep hearing a strange call I can't place. I can't find the bird either. It is a not unpleasant ringing "choong - choong - choong", which can carry some distance. Seems to be coming from an area of pines.

It seems to be from a largish bird; Black Faced Cuckoo Shrikes are in vicinity - but this call seems wrong. Nor is it the customary call of the local Grey Currawongs (or nearby Pied Currawongs).

This mostly grassed reserve is home to blue wrens, gh cisticolas, richard's pipits, along with all the usuals, with YTBCockatoos in the pines in summer, and last Saturday a rufous whistler calling loudly.

Anyone help me?

Rick Purcell