birding-aus

Girraween and Sundown NP, SQld

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Girraween and Sundown NP, SQld
From: "gavin goodyear" <>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 20:03:55 +1000
G'day all

Managed a trip down to the granite belt of Southern Qld and Northern NSW last Friday 19 Sept. A two hour stop at Girraween (between Stanthorpe and Wallangara) produced plenty of White-eared Honeyeaters.Yellow-faced Honeyeaters, Buff-rumped Thornbill, Leaden Flycatcher and Silvereyes were also present. Red Wattlebirds, Fan-tailed Cuckoo, White-browed Scrubwren, White-throated Treecreeper and Superb Fairy-wren were also present near the Information Centre. A stop further down the hill produced the usual Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters.

Other animals present included Red-necked Wallaby, Eastern Grey Kangaroo, Rabbit, Lesueur's Velvet Gecko, Eastern Water Skink and Eastern Water Dragon.

After leaving here ducked across to the Tenterfield water supply which had a few common birds such as Black Swan, Grey Teal, Australasian Grebe and Eurasian Coot. Left here early afternoon and headed down to an area often visited with my parents when I was younger. This is the Stannum district which is South-west of Tenterfield. Stopped at a small waterhole on a creek where there was a single Pink-eared Duck, Grey Teal, Australian White Ibis and Clamorous Reed-warbler. Several Eastern Snake-necked Turtles were also present at this site. Along the roads back out to the Bruxner Hwy were Diamond Firetails, Brown Treecreepers, Double-barred Finches, Leaden Flycatchers, Eastern Yellow Robins and several others.

Arrived at Sundown at 5pm and went to find a campsite. Only one other group there so already I was sold on this place. Pairs of Hooded Robins, Welcome Swallows, White-plumed Honeyeaters and Red-rumped Parrots were some of the species sighted on the way in. Also lots of Eastern Grey Kangaroos and six Fallow Deer near the treeline in the paddocks near the Ranger's residence. At dusk a Nightjar flew past but I didn't get a good look to see if it was Spotted or White-throated. Later in the evening White-throated Nightjar was calling.

When leaving in the morning just at the edge of the Broadwater campground ( this is in the southern section where I stayed) great views were had of 8 Turquoise Parrots. Fallow Deer were observed in the same paddock again as well as one running across the road on the way out. Yellow-rumped Thornbill and Weebill were found nest-building. Some other birds present were Rufous Whistler, Jacky Winter, Common Bronzewing, Double-barred Finch, Leaden Flycatchers, Spiny-cheeked Honeyeaters, Little Friarbird, Magpie, Willie Wagtail and Grey Shrike-thrush.

A quick stop on the way home at Lake Atkinson to view the Australian Pratincoles topped off a wonderful couple of days.

Cheers
Gavin Goodyear
Petrie Qld