birding-aus

What does this mean?

Subject: What does this mean?
From: Michael Whitehead <>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 20:04:10 +1100 (EST)

Hi birders,

              I've been birdwatching now for about a year and seen just over 150 species. I'm new to the list though and have not had much to do with other birders. I was just wondering what a few things meant. I'm assuming "lifers" are those species seen for the first time by an observer, correct? Also, what is "twitching"? Hey, if I'm going to get serious about this I'd better get the jargon down.

          A happy new year to all. My new years day was kicked off with some birding also. After staying up all night partying I went for a wander through paddocks of Yarramalong, central coast. In the dawn light superb fairy wrens were abundant in the dense thickets while channel-billed cuckoos were conspicuous in overhead. A lone black-shouldered kite passed over as I lay down to nap on a hill in the new morning's sun to the sound of magpies and eastern rosellas in the eucalypts.

          Another thing I wanted to ask Central Coast birders especially. Recently in the late afternoon I observed some very loud hoarse, croaky birds in the bush near my house (Point Clare). They were quite distant but perched prominently up on the apex of a dead tree. Their silhouette matched that of dollarbirds quite well. I checked my Simpson ands Day field guide, everything tells me they are dollarbirds only I didn't get a decent look through my binos to be 100%. Are they to be expected around here at this time of year? Was it them? I've never seen dollarbirds before and would be keen to add this one to the list.

                      Mike.

Yahoo! Personals
- New people, new possibilities. FREE for a limited time!