birding-aus

Fan-tailed Cuckoo and agitated thornbills

To: <>
Subject: Fan-tailed Cuckoo and agitated thornbills
From: "Val Ford" <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:47:31 +1000
Hi All

I have been watching Brown Thornbills chasing each other around my garden at
Sorrento, southern Victoria for days and thinking "I know what is on your
minds".

This was confirmed a few minutes ago when I was alerted to very agitated
Brown and Yellow Thornbills.  The object of their concern was a Fan-tailed
Cuckoo that wasn't very keen to move on and when it did only changed trees.

Did the cuckoo know where a nest was, was it testing the area to see where
the loudest response came from or was it causing a distration for its mate
[which I didn't see] to whip in and lay an egg?

Cheers
Val

ps  The thornbills were making such a din that the Blackbirds and a
Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater came up to see what was causing the alarm.