birding-aus

Red-rumped Parrot's road side nest

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Red-rumped Parrot's road side nest
From: "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:33:33 +1000
Here's one for the good folk of Sutherland Shire:

Whilst driving southward on Taren Point Road today, I was waiting in an ugly line of traffic in front of Fantastic Furniture, opposite Endeavour High School. To my utter amazement I noticed a pair of Red-rumped Parrots clearing out a hollow which is not more than 3 metres off the ground in the Sydney Scribbly Gum which is right in front of the store! This is a very busy road and lots of people were walking past totally oblivious of the activity just above their heads. The parrots were quite undisturbed by all the activity and continued on very industriously enlarging the hollow. The hollow is very easy to spot as you pass by and is no doubt worth keeping an eye on. These beautiful little parrots must have designs on the many grass seeds in the fields of the two adjacent high schools. I've seen many individuals of this species nesting on the local golf courses over the years but it's certainly a first for me to see such activity so close to the ground in such a busy location for this species.

I'm just about to depart from Sydney for some time but would love to hear from any locals with updates on the progress of these colourful fellows.

Happy spotting.

Regards - Ricki
Sans Souci - Sydney