birding-aus

Port Vila

To: "Alastair Smith" <>
Subject: Port Vila
From: "Susan Scott (Brisbane)" <>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 07:39:46 +1000

Hi there Alastair,

I have just recently returned from a diving trip to Vanuatu, but tried to observe some of the local birdlife while on Efate (which is the island that Port Vila is on). Didn't have a bird book for the region, so exact names I don't know but generally the island birdlife seems to be completely dominated by the Indian (common) Mynah which is ubquitious in its location and habitat - don't know whether it has taken hold because people were eating the other birds and this freed up the habitats or whether it has taken over in a similar situation as here in Australia.

Despite the dominance of these Mynahs, I did observe the following:

1. Honeyeater (something like a brown)
2. Kingfisher (Sacred?)
3. Pigeon (large grey & white one)
4. Fruit-dove (ground-dwelling and short flights)
5. Tern (lesser crested?)

These are the ones that I can remember off the top of my head.  As I said I didn't go for the birding, but the diving.

It is a pity but I think that most the the wildlife has taken a nose-dive, perhaps due to a growing population and continuation of hunter/gather type activities. Not sure just personal opinion and observation from my short time over there.

Hope you enjoy your time there, the people of the islands are very friendly and it is an amazing place to visit.

Susan Scott