birding-aus

Latham's Snipe

To: "Chris Sanderson" <>, <>
Subject: Latham's Snipe
From: "Aaron Organ" <>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 23:10:33 +1000
While we are on the topic of Latham's Snipe about a month ago l was down along
the South Gippsland coast near Yarram (adjacent to Corner Inlet Ramsar Site)
and flushed up to 80 birds (a few hectares in area) foraging in partially
inundated saltmarsh.  I wanting to know if anyone else has observed large
numbers of Latham's Snipe in a given area (location/s??), particularly in Vic
as this was the largest group l have recorded.

A number of waders have also arrived at Corner Inlet including Bar-tailed
Godwits (~10), Eastern Curlews (~20), Whimbrels (6), and Red-necked Stints.
Great area for other waterbirds including Great Egret (2), Little Egret (5)
White-bellied Sea-eagle (1),  Royal Spoonbills (up to 80 birds), cormorants,
swans etc.

Cheers

Aaron Organ