birding-aus

Swimming Waders

To: "" <>
Subject: Swimming Waders
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:15:47 +1000
Following up on Wim Vader's very interesting and enjoyable account of
swimming Spotted Redshanks, I remembered a fine watercolour painting by
Eric Ennion (1900-1981) showing this. They are shown swimming and diving
while pursuing fish fry at Minsmere. It is reproduced in a book called
"The Living Birds of Eric Ennion", ed. John Busby (London, Victor
Gollancz, 1982; my copy from Andrew Isles). He was a very fine British
bird artist who illustrated many books on birds and wildlife.

I was very surprised when I saw Red-necked Avocets swimming while
feeding, many years ago at the old Laverton Saltworks (now part of point
Cook Coastal Park).  I believe I have also seen this with Banded Stilts
in the shallows at Port Augusta.

I also recall seeing a Sharpie wading in muddy water - it must have
stepped into a deeper gutter because it swam a few strokes and then came
out wading on the other side, looking quite unsurprised. I believe most
waders can swim if they have to.

Anthea Fleming
Ivanhoe, Vic.