birding-aus

Re: Fan-tailed Cuckoos

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re: Fan-tailed Cuckoos
From: "Greg Clancy" <>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 17:10:35 +1000
Hi all,

The Fan-tailed Cuckoo is a winter visitor ?migrant to the lowlands of the Clarence Valley, north coast NSW, during the autumn/winter.  At this time of the year it can be seen in dry open forest and woodland, open country and urban areas.  During the spring summer it is usually confined to wetter forests, usually at higher altitudes.  I certainly do not usually see it in the vicinity of Grafton or Coutts Crossing during the spring/summer, although I banded a juvenile at Coutts Crossing on November 10 1985.  The other four birds (3 adults, 1 sub-adult) banded at Coutts Crossing were banded between March 12 and June 20. Whether it is an altitudinal or latitudinal migrant is not known but a number of southern birds visit the north coast during the winter (Silvereyes, Grey Fantails, Yellow-faced and White-naped Honeyeaters and probably Southern Boobooks as well as others).  I thought that the Fan-tailed Cuckoo was only a winter visitor when I lived at Woolooware (Sydney) - but that was in a former life so my memory may be a little hazy.

Regards

Greg