birding-aus

RFI Birds in WA

Subject: RFI Birds in WA
From: Jana Crooks <>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:08:05 +0800

Hi all,

I don't have time to write to everyone who replied to me individually, as I have limited internet access, but I'd just like to say thanks to all those who replied with help about birding in WA. I have some great info to go on, and am really looking forward to the rest of my trip now that I have relaxed into travelling mode! ;)

One of the great things about being relatively new to birding is that there are still so many birds listed in my field guide as "common" or "reasonably common" that I haven't seen - I'm almost guaranteed to see something new every time I go someplace new.

As an example, new birds I have seen so far are:

BBO:

Long-tailed Finch
Zebra Finch
Grey-crowned Babbler
Great Bowerbird
Rufous-throated Honeyeater
Numerous waders which I couldn't identify!!

On the road to Windjana Gorge:

Black-tailed Treecreeper (lucky to see one on a tree right next to the road)
Varied Lorikeet
Black-breasted Buzzard

Windjana Gorge:

Bar-breasted Honeyeater
Grey-fronted Honeyeater
Yellow-tinted Honeyeater
White-gaped Honeyeater
Golden-headed Cisticola
Sandstone Shrike-thrush
Blue-winged Kookaburra
Brush Cuckoo

Tunnel Creek:

Banded Honeyeater

Port Smith:

Mangrove Golden Whistler
Yellow White-eye
White-throated Gerygone

Anyway, thanks again everyone, as you can see I'm enjoying myself over here!

Cheers,
Jana.