birding-aus

Flocking Grey Fantails & Willie Wagtail movements

Subject: Flocking Grey Fantails & Willie Wagtail movements
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 08:20:13 +1000
Hi all,

In his recent posting Frank Hemmings mentioned seeing large numbers of Willie Wagtails and Grey Fantails and asked : "Does anyone know if Willy Wagtails move around with any sort of pattern (migration/dispersal) here in coastal NSW at this time of year, becasue this seemed to indicate something of the sort."

Here at Katoomba I sometimes get a few Willie Wagtails moving through with the autumn and spring honeyeater migration, usually only one at a time though. Being a forested area, Willie Wagtails aren't the norm here so when one does appear it stands out. For example on Sunday (2nd April) I had one fly in, perch briefly in a tall dead tree, then fly off towards the north. On the same morning, migrating flocks of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters, Spotted Pardalotes, Noisy Friarbirds and Welcome Swallows were flying through.

The closely-related Grey Fantail has been super-abundant around here for the past week or so. For most of the day I'm seeing at least half a dozen at any one time just in the tree across the road from my house.

Katoomba is in the upper Blue Mountains, 100km west of Sydney.

Cheers

Carol