birding-aus

Trip to Chiltern Deniliquin and Lake Cargelligo

To: "'Birding-aus (E-mail)'" <>
Subject: Trip to Chiltern Deniliquin and Lake Cargelligo
From: "Nevil Lazarus" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 07:45:54 +1100
On Monday December 4th my Wife and I went on a week's business trip that
took us to the Albury area, Benalla, Deniliquin, Hay, Lake Cargelligo
and back to Sydney.  Naturally, bird photography filled in a lot of time
between meetings!
We spent two nights at a lovely B&B in Chiltern, and enjoyed the
benefit of catching up with local expert Eileen Collins, who showed us
many of the great birding areas.  Drought and fire haze did not make for
best viewing, and the bush is very very dry. The water holes are either
dry or very low.  Nevertheless we found good birds and I got some nice
pics.
Highlight was an early morning where we heard Painted Honeyeater
calling, and were walking around, and came across a lot of honeyeater
activity where the birds were dropping down into sedge, just next to the
road, apparently drinking, and then flying up onto low bushes.  This
looked great, so we used the car as a hide and sat and watched whilst
Honeyeaters (Black Chinned, Yellow Tufted, Fuscous, White Naped, Brown
Headed, White Plumed) as well as Dusky Woodswallows, dropped into the
sedge.  Looking at the pics, we detected thin worms on the bird's beaks,
and this appears to be what they were doing - enjoying a worm
infestation breakfast!
We found Painted Honeyeaters, high in the canopy.  A lovely water spot
was a great place for White Browed Woodswallows, Welcome Swallows, the 2
common Dotterels, White Fronted Chats, and Juvenile Whistling Kites.
On the way to Deniliquin we had good views of a flying Spotted Harrier,
and then met up with Tom Wheller who pointed me in a few good
directions.  Best spot was 30km north of Deniliquin on the Hay Road,
where I found Honeyeaters (Black, Singing, Spiny Cheeked), Black Kite,
Swamp Harrier. My first decent  pics of Black Honeyeater.
There is a great new B&B in Deniliquin - Cottages on Edward - garden,
views of the river and very welcoming host, Richard.
On to Lake Cargelligo, and drove through very dry country, finding Lake
also very dry. Early morning went to Round Hill to catch the dawn
Chorus, but were disappointed - it was VERY quiet.  Highlight was a new
tick - eventually found Black Eared Cuckoo, and got some nice pics.
There were none of the numerous small birds, but did manage to see
Crested Bellbird, Red Capped Robin, Inland Thornbill, Southern
Whiteface, and LOTS of burrs.
The STW at Lake was excellent. Best birds were excellent views of
Spotted, Baillons and Spotless Crake,  Buff Banded Rail, 3 pairs of
Orange Chat,  Black Tailed native Hen, Brown Quail,  White Bellied Sea
Eagle, Brown Falcon, Black Kite, Black Shouldered Kite, Varigated Wren,
White Winged Wren, Bluebonnets and Red Rumped Parrots. Also Grebes,
Teals, Coot, Dotterels and Yellow Rumped Thornbills.
My list for the trip added up to 165 species, and some lovely picture
memories.

You can see some pics from the trip on my Photobucket site - password is
"nevbirds"
http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i130/nevillazarus/
Look at the sub- album called Birding trip - December 2006

Nevil Lazarus