birding-aus

Newcastle pelagic 20.1.07 - fantastic

Subject: Newcastle pelagic 20.1.07 - fantastic
From: Philip Hansbro <>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:22:25 +1100
Hi all

Went out on the first of our January pelagics on the 20th of Jan.

Had fairly rough seas (3M swell) and 25 knot NE winds but it was worth it. Went
out 35 nm and drifted to 40 nm out. Highlights were a single Black-winged
Petrel, 3 White-necked Petrels, at least 4 Gould’s Petrels, a Black Noddy and
at least 4 Sooty Terns. We had a probable Black Petrel on the way back in. The
White-necked Petrels flew close around the boat together for 15 mins and the
Gould’s Petrels also gave prolonged close views.

Totals were:

Gibson’s Wandering Albatross 1
Probable Black Petrel 1
Great-winged Petrel 1
White-necked Petrel 3
Gould’s Petrel 4+
Black-winged Petrel 1
White-faced Storm-Petrel 1
Flesh-footed Shearwater 50
Wedge-tailed Shearwater 200
Short-tailed Shearwater 1
Fluttering Shearwater 5
Aust Gannet 10
Crested Tern 4
Sooty Tern 4+
Black Noddy 1
Pomarine Skua 5+
Arctic Skua 1

There are still places left on the Monday to Wednesday trips the 22-24th of Jan.

Phil