birding-aus

Report of Black Tern in northern NSW

To: "Edwin Vella" <>, "'Murray Lord'" <>, <>
Subject: Report of Black Tern in northern NSW
From: "Greg" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 14:02:51 +1000
Hi Edwin,

I have spoken to Gary Whale and Peter and Bev Morgan who all had good views of the Black Tern. After receiving an email from Gary informing me of the sighting and emphasising the white underwing coverts I consulted HANZAB. The illustrations show a black underwing on the Black Tern and white underwing on the White-winged Black Tern. I informed Gary of this at a function that we both attended last night and stated that they had probably seen a White-winged Black Tern and not a Black Tern.

On returning from the function I had a closer look at HANZAB. The text contradicted the illustrations, supporting Gary's view (and that of the field guides) that the Black Tern does, in fact, have white underwing coverts. It would appear that the illustrations in HANZAB have been incorrectly labelled. I have emailed Peter Higgins to check this.

Bev Morgan confirmed that the bird did not have a bright red bill and that the upperwings were grey not white.

I have encouraged them to send a submission to BARC, and they have agreed to do so. They were reluctant at first because they did not obtain any photos.

From what I have been told it certainly appears to be a good record of a
Black Tern.

My wife Val and I are heading off shortly to see if it is still present.

Greg Clancy