birding-aus

Red-Winged Blackbird riding on a Red-Tailed Hawk

To: Alan Stankevitz <>
Subject: Red-Winged Blackbird riding on a Red-Tailed Hawk
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:50:21 +1000

On 10/06/2007, at 1:32 PM, Alan Stankevitz wrote:

Hello to all "Down Under". My name is Alan Stankevitz and I am the person who took the photographs of the Red-Winged Blackbird riding on a Red-Tailed Hawk here in the "States". It is for real and not a fake.

Thanks Alan

This situation reminds me of a poem entitled "The Owl Critic" by James Fields. a small portion states:

"Who stuffed that white owl?  No one spoke in the shop
The barber was busy, and couldn't stop;
The customers, waiting their turns were reading

. . . . . . . . .

Don't you see, mister Brown,
Cried the youth with a frown,
How wrong the whole thing is,
How preposterous each wing is,
How flattened the head, how jammed down the neck is -
In short, the whole owl, what an ignorant wreck 'tis!

. . . . . . . . . . .

In fact, about him there's not one natural feather.

Just then with a wink and a sly normal lurch,The owl, very gravely, got down from his perch,
Walked round. and regarded his fault-finding critic,
(Who thought he was stuffed) with a glance analytic,
And then fairly hooted, as if he should say:
"Your learning's at fault, this time, anyway;
Don't waste it again on a live bird, I pray.
I'm an owl; you're another, Sir Critic, good-day!"
and the barber kept on shaving.

Enjoy your birding

Mike Tarburton