birding-aus

Re: Travel insurance - non birding (sort of..)

To: Graham Turner <>
Subject: Re: Travel insurance - non birding (sort of..)
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:00:32 +1100
Most car rental agreements that I have taken out include an optional
excess reduction scheme, where for an extra fee, the amount of excess you are liable for is substantially reduced. I just had a look at
Budget's site and they say their scheme "Reduces the ex cess in most
cases from $5,500 to $1,100 for 4WD’s and speciality vehicles". So I would suggest checking with your renter to see what they offer.

I strongly recommend going through your renters terms and conditions
with a fine tooth comb. Looking through Budget's T&C's, there are
some cuties e.g. you can not take their cars onto islands unless
connected to the mainland by a bridge, which rules out Stradbroke,
Fraser & Magnetic Islands, not to mention Tassie. Also in the ski
season you can not take their wheels "above the snow-line", but they
do not define what constitutes "the snow-line". Having been ripped
off by car rental companies O.S., I now check the agreements and the
cars scrupulously, and even take photographs of the entire vehicle.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford