birding-aus

Migrating Birds

To: Chris Coleborn <>,
Subject: Migrating Birds
From: Steve <>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 19:31:32 +1000
G'day Chris

I was fascinated by your descriptions of flocking Honeyeaters and Flame Robins and have just read the HANZAB Movements section for each species you mentioned.

There appears to be no evidence that Eastern Spinebills or New Holland Honeyeaters migrate across Bass Strait to Victoria. The evidence that Flame Robins and Crescent Honeyeaters occasionally cross Bass Strait is slightly better but by no means certain.

So, keep watching and recording what you see.

As an aside - I'm monitoring a Texas birding forum at the moment because I hope to visit there in March next year. The migration of Warblers, Flycatchers, Hummingbirds etc from their wintering grounds in central America is in full frenzy. Key sites along the Texas Gulf coast are alive with birds each day as waves of migrants rest before heading further north. Counts of 60-100 species (up to 24 Warblers) in a few hours are common. It must be an amazing spectacle and I hope I get to see it next year.

Cheers
Steve Clark
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia