birding-aus

Re: An early monarch

To: <>
Subject: Re: An early monarch
From: "Graeme Gallienne" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 18:44:57 +1000

Hi Laurie,

I had a mature spectacled monarch here (Cedar Creek, Gold Coast Hinterland
just to NE of Mt Tamborine) about 3 weeks ago and also a rufous fantail,
which from my records over the past 10 years is about a month early,
normally they both arrive end of August or early September.  This year I
also had an immature spectacled monarch here throughout winter, maybe due to
the milder weather.  We only had  about 8 light frosts this year and only
one morning got down to zero whereas in previous winters it has reached as
low as -6 degrees and we normally have extensive frosts and many more than
8!

Regards,

Sandra Gallienne