birding-aus

Reported Black-tailed Gull in Gladsone

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Reported Black-tailed Gull in Gladsone
From: robert morris <>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 06:38:07 +0000
Dear All
the description below does sound OK for an adult black-tailed gull. It would be
good if someone could get some photos etc/

Rob Morris

Brisbane, Australia

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:23:46 +1000
Subject: Re: Birdline sighting 16131 received

Hi Rob    I dont have a camera so cant take a photo.   As I write this the bird
is sitting with a bunch of silver gulls on the boat launching ramp at the
Gladstone yacht club.   Im 65 years old and have been an avid birdwatcher since
my teens.   The bird is larger than a silver gull but smaller than a pacific
gull and it lacks that birds huge bill, mostly white with back and wings
charcoal grey/black.  There is a black band to be seen in its tail when it is
in flight. This band is situated about 3/4 of the way down the tail.  The bill
is of a yellowish green colour and the legs are grey green.     I have never
seen a bird like this here in Gladstone before and at a guess would say it
hitched a ride on one of the many Chinese ships that come here to take on coal.
   The bird also has a scruffy apearance but is quiet tame.     Ben .

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 12:02 PM, robert morris <>