birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
Date: 17 Oct 2011 01:30:21 +1000

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 16 Oct 2011.

Sun 16 Oct Plum-headed Finch Yorkeys Knob (including Lagoon), Queensland
Plum-headed Finch (10) small flock feeding on grasses south side of Lifeguard hut on the beach around 7am. Very good views,
Karen Hargreave

Fri 14 Oct Scarlet-chested Parrot, Red-lored Whistler, Black-eared Miner, Black Honeyeater Gluepot Reserve, South Australia
1 male SCP feeding and a female checking out nest hollows. Two pairs of RLW's. Flock of about 35 Miners including many hybrids. And still a few Black Honeyeaters around, one male carrying food to a possible nest.
Peter Waanders

Princess Parrot and Scarlet-chested Parrot Neale Junction, Western Australia
Both Princess Parrots and Scarlet-chested Parrots at Neale Junction in recent days. Princess Parrot was relatively common.
Lorand Szucs per Richard Baxter

Thu 13 Oct Long-billed Corella Portland, Victoria
I have Photos of what I believe to be 2 Grey Long-billed Corellas in a flock of normal white birds. They have the normal long bill and the normal pink markings but where a normal bird is white they are a similar grey to a galah. [Ed. comment: Mike Carter writes "I've seen birds (and/or pictures of) Silver Gulls in Frankston and Geelong with that grey tone. We suspected contamination of some sort from the Point Henry aluminium plant. It may be more than coincidence that there is also an aluminium plant at Portland!"]
Tony Ball

Wed 12 Oct Princess Parrot & Scarlet-chested Parrot Neale Juction Nature Reserve, Western Australia
Just returned from Neale Junction and thanks to the recent rains the place is full of birdlife! I have recorded both Princess and SCP around the campsite! The hotspot was between 15km and 16 km west from the junction where I have seen 50+ Princess on the 12th and 20+ on the 13th! Mainly fly bys but some landed to feed on flowering mulga where I had both parrot feeding on the same bush! Interestingly i have seen a pair of Princess 500 metres north of the Point Sunday campsite (on the Point sunday road where the habitat is actually the same as at the Junction)! This is a 2WD site unlike the Junction which you will need a higher clearance vehicle although I never engaged my cars 4WD mode!
Lorand Szucs

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birds Australia and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.

Unsubscribe