birding-aus

Heron Island

Subject: Heron Island
From: Robert Hamilton <>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 21:46:17 +1100
I had a recent family holiday on Heron Island and made the most of the birding
and photographic opportunities. While the number of species was quite small,
the large numbers of some of the species and their being used to human
presence, gave some excellent photo opportunities. Living among the breeding
Black Noddy colony was an amazing experience . A nesting Noddy 1 metre from
your head as you walked along the paths within the resort became normal.
Unfortunately we were too early for the Wedge-tailed Shearwater.

The most exciting and unexpected tick for me occurred while snorkelling in the
wreck, which was taken to the island decades ago to act as a breakwater. I came
up for a look, and 3 metres away were 2 Roseate Terns sitting among Crested
Terns. The moment was shared by my wife and 3 children.

I have uploaded my photos to a SmugMug gallery, with some underwater photos by
my wife Vicki and some above water marine species by my son James, to show the
complete Heron Island experience.

http://birdsnmore.smugmug.com/Heron-Island

Cheers,

Rob Hamilton