birding-aus

RFI from Swedish birder

To: Hans Johansson <>, "" <>
Subject: RFI from Swedish birder
From: Tim Dolby <>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 03:29:02 +0000
Hi Hans,

In regards to your Victorian targets, here's some ideas. A good spot for both
Chestnut Quail-thrush and Malleefowl is Bronzewing Flora and Fauna Reserve.
Bronzewing FFR reputably has the highest concentration of Malleefowl anywhere
in Victoria, while Chestnut Quail-thrush can be relatively common. In terms of
finding Malleefowl - unless you know where there's an active mound - to see
them you really have to luck upon them while walking or driving. Look for their
footprints in sandy tracks. In terms of Chestnut Quail-thrush, they're a very
wary species, quietly walking away from any observer. You'll need to learn
their high-pitched virtually inaudible 'seep' contact call. Once you hear it,
walk quietly in the direction of the call and look for movement on the ground
ahead of you. The best entry point to Bronzewing FFR is here
-35.204129,142.32659, while a good spot to look for both species is here
-35.204129,142.32659 - unfortunately the track to here is 4X4 only. So, unless y
 ou have an appropriate car, you'll have to walk in. Alternatively you can also
access the east side of the reserve from the Sunraysia Hwy, here
-35.221502,142.394396, and the south side from Tourneys Rd, here
-35.277086,142.342372.

A word of warning though. Northern Victoria can be very very hot in December,
in excess of 35 degrees. So, if hot, so make sure you do your birding early in
the morning and late arvo. Take plenty of water and, if walking off-track in
the Mallee, take a compass or check if the maps app is working on your smart
phone.

Another good spot for Malleefowl and Chestnut Quail-thrush is the southern
section of Wyperfeld National Park. Look for Malleefowl along either side of
the Dattuck Track for the first km or so (after that it becomes strickly 4X4).
While look for Chestnut Quail-thrush in the Mallee sections along the Discovery
Walk - it leads directly from the Wonga Campground. This walk is also good for
Southern Scrub-robin and Redthroat (particularly the extension to Lake
Brambruk). See
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/315825/Park-note-Wyperfeld-National-Park.pdf

Banded Stilt have been seen recently at Lake Tutchewop (11/12/2013). A good
spot to see them is along the lake track on the west side: the entrance to the
(2WD) track is here, -35.538133,143.749848, while it exits here
-35.496557,143.742944. Occasionally Banded Stilt congregate the northern side,
view from here -35.500544,143.759556. Some other good birds at Lake Tutchewop
are White-winged and Variegated Fairy-wren and Orange Chat - look in the
chenopod shrubland around the lake.

Hope this helps, and please feel free to contact me if you have any other
questions,

Cheers,

Tim Dolby