birding-aus

Would Samoa be an over-wintering site for Golden Plovers?

To: "" <>, Neville Pamment <>
Subject: Would Samoa be an over-wintering site for Golden Plovers?
From: Ronald Orenstein <>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 13:51:34 +0000 (UTC)
According to the Cornell Birds of the World site, "There is a lengthy period of
fall migration since movements vary with breeding success and juveniles depart
considerably later than adults. Non-breeders leave 2–4 weeks before breeders,
and young some weeks after adults. Generally departs late August or early
September. During this time, species is widely dispersed as first arrivals on
overwintering grounds occur well before last departures from tundra. Spring
egress from the overwintering range and stopovers extends over several weeks,
apparently related to responses of particular populations to timing of snowmelt
on various breeding grounds."

Ronald Orenstein
1825 Shady Creek Court
Mississauga, ON L5L 3W2
Canada
ronorenstein.blogspot.com
ronorensteinwriter.blogspot.com

On Sunday, October 15, 2023 at 02:56:05 a.m. EDT, Neville Pamment via