birding-aus

Winds of Change

To: "'Gordon Claridge'" <>, "'Laurie Knight'" <>
Subject: Winds of Change
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 17:36:10 +1100
I can certainly understand the concerns of people regarding the changes to
personified common names of Australian bird species, but people will continue
to use the common names which they are most comfortable with in a colloquial
context.  I still come across people who call the Magpie-lark a Peewee or a
Piping Shrike, and that's okay with me. It's only going to be in formal
communications (e.g. scientific, educational and conservation communications
and considerations) the common name changes will matter. So old common names
and their meanings will never disappear.

I remember with some amusement when Australian warbler species were renamed
gerygones in 1978 which at the time resulted in a lot of consternation among
birdwatchers, including myself. In fact the late Dom Serventy ran a 5-day
birdwatching course at the Eyre Bird Observatory in 1981 and at the end of each
day everyone came together to compile the group's bird list. When one rookie
birdwatcher asked Dom how "gerygone" is spelled he replied with great
indignation, "W-A-R-B-L-E-R!".  But 45 years after this renaming, people hardly
batter an eyelid over the use of the word "gerygone" as a collective common
name.

As for a possible name change to Lewin's Honeyeater, John Lewin will still be
remembered in the scientific name, Meliphaga lewinii, similarly with Lewin's
Rail (Lewinia pectoralis), unless there is a move to change scientific names as
well.

Kind regards,
Stephen

Stephen Ambrose