What you should be doing as soon as you have a topic:
- think about the topic ... understand all aspects, etc.
- find out what others have done before (reading required)
( Google Scholar ... Citeseer ... DBLP ... Wikipedia(?) )
- consider what's needed to evaluate your work
(don't bother considering evaluation-by-bluff ... it doesn't work)
- make notes on everything that you look at/think about
- set up a thesis web site? (for holding the notes)
- meet your supervisor and find out what they expect
- establish a consistent Thesis working pattern (weekly meeting?)
Do all of this before week 4 and assignments get heavy.