COMP9414/9814 Artificial Intelligence
Review Questions on Natural Language Processing
This is a voluntary quiz to help you decide whether you have
understood some of the major concepts from this topic. It carries
- What are morphology, syntax, semantics, reference, and pragmatics?
- Look up cat in a good English dictionary. How many meanings
can you find for this word (i) as a noun; (ii) as a verb?
- Noun and verb are parts of speech. Name as many
others as you can, and give examples of them.
- Noun phrase is a phrasal category. Name 5 other
phrasal categories, and give examples of them.
- Name the four types of grammar rules in the Chomsky hierarchy,
and give an example of each type.
- What type of sentence is defined by the following grammar rule?
S → AUX NP VP ?
Write the body of a Prolog rule for s/3
whose head is
s(P1, P5, s(aux(Aux), NP, VP))
to parse a sentence with this structure and return
the syntactic analysis as the third argument of the s/3.
What extra rules and facts would need to be added to the
rules given in lectures, in order to make this new s/3
- What is an active arc in a chart parser?
- What is a constituent in a chart parser?
- Make up an active arc and a constituent that would
allow you to "advance the "•" in the active
arc. What is the result of this process?
Solutions: don't read until you've
tried the questions yourself!
Bill Wilson's contact info
© Bill Wilson, 2009
UNSW's CRICOS Provider No. is 00098G