Week 2 Activities
On Monday you have a review of the impromptu design exercise in Clancy.
On Thursday at 2pm in OMB149, we will form groups for the project. After the lecture you will meet your tutor and we will give you your robot kit. It is very important that you come to this lecture. Notes.
Your team will build a robot to navigate through a maze, find a small bottle, pick it up, and then exit the maze. You will:
- design and construct a robot using the Lego Mindstorms Robotic Invention Set
- program a Lego NXT micro-controller brick to read the robot's touch and light sensors and control its motors
- create a maze to test your robot and those of other groups
You are limited to one NXT brick, three motors, light sensors and touch
sensors and the brick itself only has limited of memory, so you must
make efficient use of the hardware and memory.
- The robot must complete the task within a 5 minute time limit
- The robot must be less than the size and weight limits
- The program that controls the robot must be well organized and well documented.
- The maze you create must be challenging and look good.
Preliminary Design Project - Robot Sumo
Before embarking on the rescue project, your team will undertake a
simpler project, to design a robot that will compete against another
team's robot to play "sumo". The robots will be placed inside a circle.
Your robot will win the game if it can push the other robot out of the