Some Recent Publications
[All vehicular networking related publications are available from http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~vnet ]
- Mahbub Hassan and Raj Jain, Eds., High Performance TCP/IP Networking, Prentice Hall, 2004.
- Sanjay Jha and Mahbub Hassan, Engineering Internet QoS, Artech House, 2002.
- Mahbub Hassan and Mohammed Atiquzzaman, Performance of TCP/IP Over ATM Networks, Artech House, 2000.
- W. Zhang, Z. Wang, S.K. Das and M. Hassan, "Security Issues in Wireless Mesh
Networks", book chapter in Wireless Mesh Networks: Architectures and Protocols,
(Eds. Ekram Hossain and Kin K. Leung.), Springer-Verlag, 2008. [ pdf ]
- "Could Message Ferrying be a Viable Technology
for Small Cell Backhaul?" March 2014 [ pdf ]
- E. Zarepour, A. A. Adesina, M. Hassan, and C. T. Chou, "An innovative approach to improving gas-to-liquid fuels catalysis via nano-sensor network modulation," Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 53 (14), pp 5728-5736, 2014.
- B. Sardar, D. Saha, M. Hassan, ``A Novel Enhancement of TCP for on-board IP Networks with Wireless Cellular Connectivity," Journal of Networks and Computer Applications, Vol. 41, pp. 89-100, 2014.
- Quan-Jun Chen, Salil Kanhere, Mahbub Hassan, "Adaptive Position Update for Geographic Routing in Mobile Adhoc Networks," IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing. 12(3), pp. 489-501, March 2013. [ pdf ]
- Quan-Jun Chen, Salil Kanhere, Mahbub Hassan, "Performance Analysis of Geography-Limited Broadcasting in Multi-hop Wireless Networks," Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing. 13(15), pp. 1406-1421, October 2013. [ pdf ]
- Jahan Hassan, Mahbub Hassan, Sajal K. Das, Arthur Ramer, "Managing Quality of Experience for Wireless VOIP Using Noncooperative Games," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications . 30(7), pp. 1193- 1204, August 2012. [ pdf ]
- Z. Wang and M. Hassan, "Blind XOR: Low-Overhead Loss Recovery for Vehicular Safety Communications," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology. 61(1), January 2012, pp. 35-45. [ pdf ]
- Jun Yao, Salil Kanhere, Mahbub Hassan, "Improving QoS in High-speed Mobility Using Bandwidth Maps," IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing. 11(4), April 2012, pp. 603-617. [ pdf ] [ bandwidth traces ]
- J. Jao, A. Tabatabei, M. Hassan, N. Alam, A. Dempster, "Improving Cooperative Positioning for Vehicular Networks," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 60(6), July 2011, pp. 2810-2823. [ pdf ]
- Quan-Jun Chen, Salil Kanhere, Mahbub Hassan, "Analysis of per-node traffic load in multi-hop wireless sensor networks," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 8(2), Feb. 2009 pp. 958 - 967 .
- Alfandika Nyandoro, Lavy Libman, Mahbub Hassan, "Service Differentiation using the Capture Effect in 802.11 Wireless LANs," IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 6(8), August 2007, pp. 2961-2971 .
- Kun-chan Lan, Zhe Wang, Mahbub Hassan, Tim Moors, Rodney Berriman, Lavy Libman, Maximilian Ott, Bjorn Landfeldt, Zainab Zaidi, "Experiences in Deploying a Wireless Mesh Network Testbed for Traffic Control," ACM SIGCOMM
Computer Communication Review, 37(5), October 2007, pp. 17-28 . [Initially presented as a student poster in ACM SIGCOMM 2007, August 2007, Kyoto, Japan.]
- Adeel Baig, Lavy Libman, and Mahbub Hassan, "Performance Enhancement of On-board Communication Networks using Outage Prediction," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 24(9), September 2006, pp. 1692-1701 .
- J.H. Sarker, M. Hassan, S.J. Halme, "Power level selection schemes to improve throughput and stability of slotted ALOHA under heavy load," Computer Communications 2002. [ pdf ]
- Mahbub Hassan, Alfandika Nyandoro, Mohammed Atiquzzaman, "Internet Telephony: Services, Technical Challenges, and Products", IEEE Communications Magazine, 38(4), April 2000, pp. 96-103 .
- Mahbub Hassan, Mohammed Atiquzzaman, "A delayed vacation model of an M/G/1 queue with setup time and its application to SVCC-Based ATM networks", IEICE Transactions on Communications, E80-B(2), February 1997, pp. 317-323 .[ pdf ]
- Mahbub Hassan (inventor), ``IP Rate Control", US Patent 7555560, June, 2009, Assignee: Canon Kabushiki Kaisha (Tokyo, JP)
- Sayed Amir Hoseini, Azade Fotouhi, Mahbub Hassan, Chun Tung Chou, Mostafa H. Ammar, "A Message Ferrying Approach to Low-Cost Backhaul in
Cellular Networks", Accepted in MOBICOM workshop CHANTS 2014, Hawaii, USA, 7-11 September 2014.
- Eisa Zarepour, Mahbub Hassan, Chun Tung Chou, Adesoji A. Adesina, "Frequency Hopping Strategies for Improving Terahertz Sensor Network Performance over Composition Varying Channels", IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WOWMOM), 16-19 June, 2014.[ pdf ]
- Eisa Zarepour, Mahbub Hassan, Chun Tung Chou, Adesoji A. Adesina, "Power Optimization in Nano Sensor Networks for Chemical Reactors", 1st ACM International Conference on Nanoscale Computing and Communication (NANOCOM), Atlanta, Georgia, USA, May 13-14, 2014.[ pdf
- Ghulam Murtaza, Andreas Reinhardt, Mahbub Hassan, Salil S Kanhere, "Creating Personal Bandwidth Maps using Opportunistic Throughput Measurements", IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), 10-13 June, 2014. [ pdf
- Sara Khalifa, Mahbub Hassan, Aruna Seneviratne, "Feature Selection for Floor-changing Activity
Recognition in Multi-Floor Pedestrian Navigation", International Conference on Mobile Computing and Ubiquitous Networking (ICMU), 6-8 January, 2014, Singapore. [ pdf
- Ayub Bokani, Mahbub Hassan, Salil Kanhere, "HTTP-based Adaptive Streaming for Mobile Clients
using Markov Decision Process", Packet Video Workshop, 2013. [ pdf
- Sara Khalifa, Mahbub Hassan, Aruna Seneviratne, "Adaptive Pedestrian Activity Classification for
Indoor Dead Reckoning Systems", International Conference on Indoor Positioning and Indoor Navigation (IPIN), 28-31 October, 2013, France. [ pdf
- Marzieh Jalal Abadi, Yexuan Gu, Xinlong Guan, Yang Wang, Mahbub Hassan, and Chun Tung Chou, "Improving Heading Accuracy in Smartphone-based
PDR Systems using Multi-Pedestrian Sensor Fusion", Short Paper, International Conference on Indoor Positioning and Indoor Navigation (IPIN), 28-31 October, 2013, France. [ pdf
- Eisa Zarepour, Mahbub Hassan, Chun Tung Chou, Adesoji A. Adesina, "Nano-scale Sensor Networks for Chemical Catalysis", The 13th IEEE International Conference on Nanotechnology (IEEE-Nano), 2013. [ pdf
- Eisa Zarepour, Adesoji A. Adesina, Mahbub Hassan, Chun Tung Chou, "Nano Sensor Networks for Tailored Operation of Highly Efficient Gas-To-Liquid Fuels Catalysts", CHEMECA 2013. [ pdf ]
- Mahbub Hassan, "A Performance Model of Pedestrian Dead Reckoning with Activity-based Location Updates", IEEE International Conference on Networks (ICON 2012), Singapore, 12-14 December 2012. [ Camera Ready ]
- Sara Khalifa and Mahbub Hassan, "Evaluating Mismatch Probability of Activity-based Map Matching in Indoor Positioning", IEEE Indoor Positioning and Indoor Navigation (IPIN 2012), Sydney, Australia, 13-15 November 2012. [ Camera Ready ]
- Jun Yao, Salil Kanhere and Mahbub Hassan, "Mobile Broadband Performance Measured from High-Speed Regional Trains", IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC 2011-Fall), 5-8 Sep 2011, San Francisco, USA. [ pdf ]
- Jun Yao, Salil Kanhere, Imran Hossain, Mahbub Hassan, "Empirical Evaluation of HTTP Adaptive Streaming under Vehicular Mobility", IFIP Networking, 9-13 May 2011, Valencia, Spain. [ pdf ] [ bandwidth traces ]
- Jun Yao, Salil Kanhere, Mahbub Hassan, "Quality Improvement of Mobile Video Using Geo-intelligent Rate Adaptation", IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC 2010), Sydney, Australia, 18 April 2010. [ pdf ] [ bandwidth traces ]
- Jun Yao, Salil Kanhere, Mahbub Hassan, "Geo-intelligent Traffic Scheduling for Multi-homed On-Board Networks," 4th ACM International Workshop on Mobility in the Evolving Internet Architecture (MOBIARCH'09 in conjunction with ACM MOBISYS'09), Krakow, Poland, 22 June 2009.[ pdf ] [ bandwidth traces ]
- Jun Yao, Salil Kanhere, Mahbub Hassan, "An Empirical Study of Bandwidth Predictability in Mobile Computing," 3rd ACM International Workshop on Wireless Network Testbeds, Experimental evaluation and CHaracterization (WINTECH'08 in conjunction with ACM MOBICOM'08), San Francisco, 19 September 2008. [ pdf ] [ bandwidth traces ]
- Zhe Wang and Mahbub Hassan, "Network Coded Repetition: A Method to Recover Lost Packets in Vehicular Communications" IEEE ICC 2011. [ pdf ]
- Zhe Wang and Mahbub Hassan, "How Much of DSRC is Available for Non-Safety Use?" 5th ACM International Workshop on Vehicular Internetworking (VANET'08 in conjunction with ACM MOBICOM'08), San Francisco, 15 September 2008. [ pdf ]
- Adeel Baig, Mahbub Hassan, Lavy Libman, "Prediction-based recovery from link outages in on-board mobile communication networks" IEEE GLOBECOM 2004. [ pdf ]
- Don Ngo, Naveed Hussain, Mahbub Hassan, Jim Wu, "WANMon: A Resource Usage Monitoring Tool for Ad Hoc Wireless Networks," IEEE LCN 2003. [ pdf ]
- Mahbub Hassan and Harsha Sirisena, "Optimal Control of Queues in Computer Networks," IEEE ICC 2001. [ pdf ]