Minutes of the Teaching Committee Meeting on 26 August 2005
Achim Hoffmann (chair), Hal Ashburner (student), Christopher Chua (student), Oliver Diessel, Bruno
Gaeta, Joseph Gentle (student), Aleks Ignjatovic, Gabrielle Keller,
Lake (student), Ashesh Mahidadia, Eric Martin, Maurice Pagnucco, N.
Paramesh, Sri Parameshwaran, Arthur Ramer, Ken Robinson, Wayne Wobcke.
Meeting opened at 2:15pm and ended at 4:05pm
Apology: Richard Buckland
Date: 26 August 2005
Author: Achim Hoffmann
- Confirmation of minutes of the last two teaching
Courses to be run in 2006. This list was circulated at
- The minutes were confirmed.
Teaching load formula - initial brainstorming. As a starting point, the info on
teaching load formulas from Monash University was circulated.
- It was suggested to consider to offer COMP2411 also to third
year students, to generate higher enrolment and to offer more choices
in third year.
- the case to revive COMP9514 Advanced Decision Theory was
presented by Arthur Ramer.
- It was agreed that SENG9338 is not essential to be offered in
Plagiarism Policy - what next?
- Wayne Wobcke gave a brief run-down of the teaching load formula
used during his time at Sydney Uni.
- A general discussion developed about the value and potential
problems with a teaching load formula. The goal of the formula is to
balance the duties among all academics as best as possible, while
taking into account the activites in all three areas, teaching,
research and administration. It was noted that caps are probably
desriable that limit the extent to which on area of duty can compensate
for a lack of duties in another area. E.g. a productive researcher
should probably still need to teach to some extent. What is this
extent? It is planned to continue the discussion on the teaching load
formula by circulating some rough draft and to refine it over the next
two months by multiple open discussions.
- This item was postponed to a
later Teaching Committee meeting.
School of Computer Science &
The University of New South Wales
Sydney 2052, AUSTRALIA
Phone: +61 2 9385 6876