Agenda for Teaching Committee Meeting - 18 August 2000
- New program proposal: B.E. in Bioinformatics.
This is a proposal to create a new program in which the major
players would be CSE, the Faculty of Life Sciences, and Maths.
- Change of prerequisite for postgrad networks subject(s). Mahbub Hassan
and Sanjay Jha are requesting that (COMP9331 or COMP3331) be made a
prerequisite for COMP9332 Network Switching and Routing, except for
certain MInfSc/internetwork (8508/3000 and 5453/3000) who may need
to take COMP9331 as a co-requisite in order to finish in minimum time.
They have also foreshadowed making COMP9332 a prerequisite for COMP9333
Advanced Computer Networks.
- COMP9022 in second sessions. We are currently feeling the displeasure
of PG students who have been forced to enrol in COMP2021 in second
session because COMP9022 is currently only run in first session.
Should we reconsider on this? Should all/popular/core PG courses
have repeat lectures so that they are available day and evening?
Particularly UG/PG pairs like COMP3231/9201, COMP3131/9102,
COMP3111/9008, COMP3121/9101 (using second session examples)?
John Shepherd will introduce the discussion.
- Future of COMP1091: This course was taught for the first time in
first session this year. Should it be taught in both sessions
next year? What is it's future and how does it fit in with other
courses that we offer?
- The TC's attention is drawn to the fact that a competitor,
Sydney University, runs a
talented student program. Should we be doing this as well?
- The School of Physics has a person, the "Physics Friend" who
I am told spends her full time sorting out students' problems
and giving course advice (particularly in difficult areas such
as double degrees). Should we be taking this approach too?
- School reaction to School of ISTM's proposed Master of Information
- IEAust accreditation 30 October-2 November.
School of Computer Science & Engineering
The University of New South Wales
Sydney 2052, AUSTRALIA
Phone: +61 2 9385 6876
Fax: +61 2 9385 4071