Minutes of Teaching Committee Meeting on 20 August 1999
Present: gernot, andrewt, kenr, billw (chair), sowmya, lambert, steve
- The change of title of COMP9024 from "Data Structures, Files and
Databases" to "Data Structures and Algorithms", etc. was approved,
along with the minor changes to the syllabus.
- A response will be sent to Ian Morrison indicating that most of our
subjects/courses use educational technology, and that specific examples
of subjects using innovative techniques would be COMP9804, COMP9701, and
COMP9116 contacts to be provided as he requests.
- The modifications to the syllabus of COMP9242 Advanced OS specified in
the agenda were approved.
- COMP9022 and COMP2021 will be modified to include an introduction to C
for Java programmers. The teachers of later subjects that will be using
C need to be consulted about what aspects of C need to be emphasized,
but one important topic is the use of pointers as a model of addresses
in memory structures.
If you teach a later-year subject that uses C, you need to make sure
that you make your needs known to the COMP9022/COMP2021 lecturers.
- The proposal to allow first year CS students to enrol in INFS subject
Business Data Management was approved.
- The possibility of using sirius to allow students
to register for tutorials at enrolment time, rather than in the first
week, will be investigated. There may be detailed problems of
administration, related for example to the use of timetable codes
to allocate students to timetables in session 1.
- Ken Robinson reported that BE(SE)/BSc and BE(SE)/BA combined
programme proposals are now with the Secretariat. Thanks to Ken for
this excellent response.
- Courses and Careers Day plans were briefly discussed.
- Summer session subjects will be COMP1021 and COMP9701.
- The CEQ response sought be Ian Morrison had tobe deferred until next
School of Computer Science & Engineering
The University of New South Wales
Sydney 2052, AUSTRALIA
Phone: +61 2 9385 3986
Fax: +61 2 9385 5995