Minutes of Teaching Committee Meeting - 18 August 2000
Present: Bill Wilson (chair), Arcot Sowmya, Ken Robinson, Tim Lambert,
Ada Lim, Daniel Koo, Tammy Beshay, Gernot Heiser, Andrew Taylor,
Priyadarshi Nanda, Sanjay Jha, Arun Sharma, Cassandra Nock, Bill
Atherton, Kai Engelhardt.
Apology: John Shepherd
- Arun described the proposal for a B.E. in Bioinformatics to the
meeting, and answered questions on it. The proposal will be developed
further before it is presented to the Faculty Standing Committee on
Friday 1 September.
- The prerequisite for COMP9331 becomes COMP9021 + COMP9022. Thereafter
prerequisite sequence becomes (COMP9331 or COMP3331) -> COMP9332 ->
COMP9333. The ensuing problems for 8508/3000(5453/3000) will
become part of the planned revision of these programs being planned
by John Shepherd. In the meantime, students entering these programs
will have to be warned that it will not be possible to complete
these programs in 3(2) sessions full-time (unless they are eligible
for exemptions for COMP9021 and COMP9022).
- COMP9022 in second sessions. This item was deferred in view of John
- Future of COMP1091. Again deferred because of John's absence.
- Talented student program. In the end, we decided that we already have
practices equivalent to a talented student program. In order to make
sure that eligible students are aware of this fact, Tim Lambert and
Ada Lim will be producing a web page describing our provisions for
gifted and talented students.
- Student "Friend" proposal. After discussion, the meeting agreed that
the most appropriate course of action is to recommend to the Head
of School that another person be hired for the School Office to assist
Rita, to allow her more time to advise students with
complex enrolment problems.
- School of ISTM's proposed Master of Information Technology. Arun
described the proposal to the meeting, and sought comments from
TC members to assist him in formulating a response to the School of
- Please note that the IEAust accreditation visit has now been confirmed
for 1-2 November.
School of Computer Science & Engineering
The University of New South Wales
Sydney 2052, AUSTRALIA
Phone: +61 2 9385 6876
Fax: +61 2 9385 4071