Minutes of Teaching Committee Meeting 15 February 2002
Present: andrewt (chair), achim, hossam, kenr, lambert,
steve, sjha, ignjat, awiggins, bradg, carrollg
- Offering COMP9314 in 02s2
Agreed as staff available and subject very popular.
- Do we need to add COMP2920 to joint degrees
Agreed that it was not necessary to add COMP2920 to joint degrees
except possibly for CS/Commerce.
Tim Lambert to investigate if Commerce program includes courses
offer suitable professional content.
- Should we reject the BE(CE)/MEngSci plan
Recommended we reject it because it greatly de-values the
Master of Engineering Science. Major problem is that it depends
on a distinction between
"postgrad" and "undergrad" electives which doesn't exist for COMP courses.
Provision of summer projects also problematic.
- New course proposal for 02s1 - Algorithms & Complexity
Accepted as suitable course and agreed it can be delivered in 02s1.
Consideration of its offering on ongoing basis at next TC.
- New course proposal for 02s2 - Capacity Planning of Computer
Systems and Networks
Accepted as suitable course and can run in 02s2 if Bruce Howarth available
to deliver it.
- New course proposal for 02s2 - Algorithm Engineering
Accepted as suitable course. Agreed it can be delivered in 02s1 on a voluntary
basis by Hossam. Consideration of its offering on ongoing basis at next TC.
- Honour board and Prizes for Top Students
Display of list of uni medalist recommended.
Selecting best students at intermediate stages for commendation
problematic, bradh to investigate further.
- 03x1 summer session courses
Some discussion but no result.
- Any other business.
School of Computer Science & Engineering
The University of New South Wales
Sydney 2052, AUSTRALIA
Phone: +61 2 9385 5525
Fax: +61 2 9385 5995