Job Description CSO (Teaching System Support) = Class Manager
Drafted by: Albert Nymeyer and Bill Wilson
The candidate will be assigned to one or more courses and will be
responsible for general coordination, administration and technical support duties
in courses that involve large numbers of students.
It is envisaged that the number of students per class will be in the
range 100-900, with most cases in the 250-400 range.
The duties include:
- course administration (in particular, software packages like SMS, `give',
- tutorial management (organising the collection of written work
from students, the allocation to markers, and the return to students)
- web technical support (developing and maintaining the web pages)
- installation and maintenance of software
In more detail, the duties envisaged are:
Under supervision, to perform duties chosen from the following:
Tutorials, Laboratories and Consultations
Assignments, reports, surveys and peer assessments.
- Organise tutors by end of week 1.
- Organise rooms and times for tutorials, laboratories and consultations
(via the school office, CATS and CSG).
- Run tutorial & laboratories registration for students (usually via Sirius).
- Handle student requests for changes of tutorial/laboratories
- Ensure assessment from tutors is collected (usually via Sirius).
- Find replacements for sick/missing tutors
- Respond to administratives queries from tutors.
Software and the web
- Organise the distribution and collection of these documents (manually
or via give, as appropriate).
- Sort and distribute to markers if necessary.
- Set up and run auto-testing via give.
- Organise the return of these documents to students as necessary,
or in the case of auto-tested assignments, coordinate any
tutor component of the marking using "classrun mark", and
inform students when marking is done and how to collect their
- Run plagiarism software about a week after each assignment
is due, and report to LIC on outcomes. Participate in interviews
with persons found to be likely plagiarists.
- Construct, administer and maintain a home-page for the course.
- Add material to the website from the lecturer(s) and tutor(s).
- Regulate access to e.g. solutions provided via web.
- Interact with the Sirius system for tutorial management.
- Interact with the SMS system for student assessment.
- Maintain software and courseware required for teaching, with CSG support.
- Be involved in software acquisition, licensing and installation.
Out of session responsibilities
- support for summer session courses
- management of supplementary exams
- extended software support
- preparation of class materials
- participation in enrolment duties
- convey mark amendments to School Office
- respond to School Office queries regarding students marks
The candidate will be entitled to enrol part time for an MEngSc in
the School of CSE, after 12 months service, and the School will pay
their fees for this study.
It is anticipated that a Teaching System Support officer will be
assigned to a very large class (500+), or two related medium
sized classes (say the networks courses in a particular session)
or two moderate sized classes (<250 students each). This is a general
rule-of-thumb, and load will be adjusted to course demands.
School of Computer Science & Engineering
The University of New South Wales
Sydney 2052, AUSTRALIA
Phone: +61 2 9385 6876
Fax: +61 2 9385 4071