Dr Xin CAO曹欣
Database Research Group
School of Computer Science and Engineering
The University of New South Wales
Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
Office: k-17 201D
Email: xin.cao AT unsw DOT edu DOT au
I am currently a lecturer in the School of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) at The University of New South Wales (UNSW). I had worked as a lecturer in the Knowledge and Data Engineering research cluster within the
School of Electronics, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
at Queen's University Belfast (QUB) from 2014 to 2016.
I did my PhD study in the School of Computer Science and Engineering (SCE), Nanyang Technological University (NTU) from August 2010 to October 2013, under the supervision of Dr. Gao Cong. Prior to joining NTU, I was a scientific assistant in the Center for Data-Intensive Systems (Daisy) in Aalborg University (AAU) from September 2008 to June 2010 under the supervision of
Prof. Christian S. Jensen and Dr. Gao Cong. During October 2013 to September 2014,
I was a research associate at the Data-Intensive Scalable Computing Lab, SCE, NTU.
I obtained my Master and Bachelor degrees from the School of Computer Science and Technology,
Zhejiang University, Hang Zhou, China, in June 2008 and June 2006, respectively.
I am interested in Data Management (in particular, on geo-textual data), Databases, Information Retrieval, and Data Mining.
My current research mainly focuses on spatial and textual data management, including:
- Filtering geo-textual data stream, e.g., geo-tagged tweets (SIGMOD13, ICDE15)
- Keyword-aware route planning (PVLDB12, IJCAI15)
- Efficient processing of spatial keyword queries (PVLDB10, SIGMOD11, PVLDB14, SIGMOD15, TODS15, PVLDB16, and an invited paper in ER12)
- Mining significant semantic locations from user generated GPS data (PVLDB10)
- Link structure analysis (PVLDB10, SIGMOD17)
I also have research experiences on:
- Using categorization information to improve question search in community based question answering services (CIKM09, WWW10, TOIS12)
- Indoor distance-aware query processing (ICDE12)
- Streaming graph clustering (ICDE16)
My DBLP entry
My Google Scholar Profile
Tao Guo, Xin Cao, Gao Cong, Jiaheng Liu, Xuemin Lin.
Distributed Algorithms on Exact Personalized PageRank.
SIGMOD, Chicago, IL, USA, May 14-19, 2017, accepted
- Sen Su, Sen Zhao, Xiang Cheng, Rong Bi, Xin Cao, Jie Wang.
Group-Based Collective Keyword Querying in Road Networks.
Information Processing Letters 118: 83-90, 2017 paper
Ryan McConville, Xin Cao, Weiru Liu, Paul Miller.
Accelerating Large Scale Centroid-based Clustering with Locality Sensitive Hashing.
ICDE, Helsinki, Finland, May 16-20, 2016 paper
Farhana Choudhury, J. Shane Culpepper, Timos Sellis, Xin Cao.
Maximizing Bichromatic Reverse Spatial and Textual k Nearest Neighbor Queries.
PVLDB 9(6):456-467, New Delhi, India, September 5-9, 2016 paper
Yifeng Zeng, Xuefeng Chen, Xin Cao, Shengchao Qin, Marc Cavazza, Yanping Xiang.
Optimal Route Search with the Coverage of Users' Preferences.
IJCAI, Buenos Aires, Argentina, July 25-31, 2015 paper
Xin Cao, Gao Cong, Tao Guo, Christian S. Jensen, Beng Chin Ooi.
Efficient Processing of Spatial Group Keyword Queries.
TODS 40(2): 13, 2015 paper
Tao Guo, Xin Cao, Gao Cong.
Efficient Algorithms for Answering the m-Closest Keywords Query.
SIGMOD, Melbourne, Australia, May 31-June 4, 2015 paper
Lisi Chen, Gao Cong, Xin Cao, Kian-Lee Tan.
Temporal Spatial-Keyword Top-k Publish/Subscribe.
ICDE, Seoul, Korea, April 13-17, 2015 paper
Xin Cao, Gao Cong, Christian S. Jensen, Man Lung Yiu.
Retrieving Regions of Interest for User Exploration.
PVLDB 7(9): 733-744, VLDB 2014, Hanzhou, China, September 1-5, 2014 paper
Lisi Chen, Gao Cong, Yan Cui, Xin Cao.
SOPS: A System for Efficient Processing of Spatial-Keyword Publish/Subscribe (Demo).
PVLDB 7(13): 1601-1604, VLDB 2014, Hanzhou, China, September 1-5, 2014 paper
Xin Cao, Lisi Chen, Gao Cong, Jihong Guan, Nhan-Tue Phan, Xiaokui Xiao.
KORS: Keyword-aware Optimal Route Search System (Demo).
ICDE, Brisbane, Australia, April 8-12, 2013 paper
Lisi Chen, Gao Cong, Xin Cao.
An efficient query indexing mechanism for filtering geo-textual data.
SIGMOD, New York, NY, USA, June 22-27, 2013 paper
Xin Cao, Lisi Chen, Gao Cong, Xiaokui Xiao.
Keyword-aware Optimal Route Search.
PVLDB 5(11): 1136-1147. VLDB 2012, Istanbul, Turkey, August 27-31, 2012 paper
Xin Cao, Gao Cong, Christian S. Jensen, Jun Jie Ng, Beng Chin Ooi, Nhan-Tue Phan, Dingming Wu.
SWORS: A System for the Efficient Retrieval of Relevant Spatial Web Objects (Demo).
PVLDB 5(12): 1914-1917. VLDB 2012, Istanbul, Turkey, August 27-31, 2012 paper
Xin Cao, Gao Cong, Bin Cui, Christian S. Jensen, Quan Yuan.
Approaches to Exploring Category Information for Question Retrieval in Community Question-Answer Archives.
TOIS 30(2): 7:1-7:38, 2012 paper
Xin Cao, Lisi Chen, Gao Cong, Christian S. Jensen, Qiang Qu, Anders Skovsgaard, Dingming Wu, Man Lung Yiu.
Spatial Keyword Querying (invited paper).
ER, Florence, Italy, October 15-18, 2012 paper
Hua Lu, Xin Cao, Christian S. Jensen.
A Foundation for Efficient Indoor Distance-Aware Query Processing.
ICDE, Washington, DC, USA, April 1-5, 2012 paper
Xin Cao, Gao Cong, Christian S. Jensen, Beng Chin Ooi.
Collective spatial keyword querying.
SIGMOD, Athens, Greece, June 12-16, 2011 paper
data (code available by email request)
Xin Cao, Gao Cong, Christian S. Jensen.
Retrieving Top-k Prestige-Based Relevant Spatial Web Objects.
PVLDB 3(1): 373-384. VLDB 2010, Singapore, September 13-17, 2010 paper
Xin Cao, Gao Cong, Christian S. Jensen.
Mining Significant Semantic Locations From GPS Data.
PVLDB 3(1): 1009-1020. VLDB 2010, Singapore, September 13-17, 2010 paper
Xin Cao, Gao Cong, Bin Cui, Christian S. Jensen.
A generalized framework of exploring category information for question retrieval in community question answer archives.
WWW, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA, April 26-30, 2010 paper
Xin Cao,Gao Cong, Bin Cui, Christian S. Jensen, Ce Zhang.
The use of categorization information in language models for question retrieval.
CIKM, Hong Kong, China, November 2-6, 2009 paper data
Spatial Keyword Querying Beyond the Single Geo-Textual Object Granularity. Oct 2013 (available upon email request)
, Level 2, 2014 Fall, QUB
, Level 2, 2015 Fall, QUB
COMP9313:Big Data Management
, Postgraduate, 2016 S2, UNSW
COMP9313:Big Data Management
, Postgraduate, 2017 S1, UNSW
Program Committee Memberships
- The 4th International Conference on Big Data Analytics-2015 (BDA2015).
- The 2nd IEEE International Conference on Big Data Computing Service and Applications(IEEE BigDataService 2016). Track Chair.
- The 17th International Conference on Web-Age Information Management (WAIM 2016).
- The 32nd IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE 2016). PC member for TKDE Posters.
- Workshop on Keyword Search and Data Exploration on Structured Data (KEYS2016, in conjunction with ICDE 2016).
- The 3rd IEEE International Conference on Big Data Computing Service and Applications(IEEE BigDataService 2017).
- The 30th International Conference on Industrial, Engineering, Other Applications of Applied Intelligent Systems (IEA/AIE 2017).
- The Australasian Database Conference 2017 (ADC 2017). Publication Chair.
- The 26th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM 2017).
- The 34th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE 2018).
Reviewer for Journals
- IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE). Since 2012
- The Computer Journal (Oxford). 2013, 2015
- ACM Transactions on Spatial Algorithms and Systems (TSAS). 2014, 2017
- The International Jounal on Very Large Data Bases (VLDBJ). 2014
- Journal of Computer Science and Technology (JCST). 2015
- Neural Computing and Applications (NCAA). 2015
- Frontiers of Information Technology & Electronic Engineering. 2015
- Neurocomputing (NEUCOM). 2015, 2016
- ACM Transactions on Database Systems (TODS). 2016
- World Wide Web (WWWJ). 2016
- IEEE Pervasive Computing. 2016
- GeoInformatica. 2017
- Symmetry. 2017
- Journal of Systems Science and Systems Engineering (JSSSE). 2017
- DASFAA 2011, ICDE 2011, PVLDB 2011, CIKM 2011, CIKM 2012, KDD 2012, PVLDB 2012, WAIM 2013, WWW 2013, ICDE 2013, etc.
|2010-2013: ||Nanyang Research Scholarship
|2010-2011: || Nanyang Engineering Doctoral Scholarship (NEDS) Award
|2006: || Outstanding Graduate of Zhejiang University