birding-aus

Re: Care of injured birds

Subject: Re: Care of injured birds
From: Shane Raidal <>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 08:41:28 +0800
At 12:15 PM 10/19/97 +0800, you wrote:

>The care of injured birds has always been a dilemma for me.  Are you taking
>a meal away from a raptor, reptile, mammal, insects, etc? I don't know the
>answer.

This is a welfare issue.  In many states of Australia there is a legal
requirement to offer assistance to injured wildlife. For example, if you
accidentally run over a snake in NSW and drive off then you could be
breaking the law!  In most populated areas there are vets and wildlife
carer groups that can judge the extent of injury and either offer
assistance or humane euthanasia. This level of perceived human interference
of a biological system should not be considered undesirable since many such
bird injuries are attributable to human activity (eg. motor vehicle
injuries etc).

Shane Raidal  BVSc PhD MACVSc Avian Health
Lecturer in Veterinary Pathology
Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences
Murdoch University               phone:  +61  8  9360 2418
Perth,WA, 6150                           fax:  +61  8  9310 4144
Australia

I have nothing witty to add.