birding-aus

Renaming the Bald Eagle

To: "Philip A Veerman" <>, <>
Subject: Renaming the Bald Eagle
From: <>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 98 08:12:42 -0400
>How come that awful
>name "Bald Eagle" persists anyway. It is not bald and it is not even a real
>eagle. USA should be honest and rename it American (or White-headed)
>Sea-Eagle.

After reading the extensive debate about common bird names , I realize
there must be quite a tendancy for renaming things in Austrailia.
However, so far in the States we have avoided much of that controversy
(at least to my knowledge). The Bald Eagle may not be bald, or even a
real eagle, but everybody recognizes it as a symbol of our country. I
doubt the same would be true if it became the American Sea-Eagle. So I
guess we'll stick with tradition and 'keep' the Bald Eagle.

Happy birding,

shawn loewen
Leola, Pennsylvania
USA