birding-aus

Coffs Harbour to Inskip Point and back to the Central Coast

To: "Allan Benson" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Coffs Harbour to Inskip Point and back to the Central Coast
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 06:48:13 +1000
Alan,
       Don't know about the Black Kites, but Brolga are regularly seen south of the Pine River (not creek!!). That area is the northern boundary of the Tinchi Tamba Wetlands, a great birding spot with a variety of woodland, wetland, and mangrove/mudflat habitat. The Pine River marks the boundary of Brisbane City and Pine Rivers Shire. Don't know how you missed the Indian Myna, they are increasingly evident though thankfully not (yet) in Sydney proportions.

           Russ Lamb, Maleny

Sent: Monday, 29 April 2002 10:14

We made it a five day weekend  with Anzac Day and travelled to Maroochydore and visit family (with a slight detour to Inskip Point).

We kept a bird list from Coffs Harbour to the Sunshine Coast and back to the Central Coast.In a total of 82 species the highlights were:
  • Buff Banded Rail scuttling across the Pacific Highway just north of the Big Banana at Coffs Harbour.
  • Inskip Point (see separate posting)
  • Black Kites at landfill site on Bruce Highway north of Pine Creek near Brisbane. This is a different site to Tom Tarrant's site but in the same general area. I didn't stop to count as I didn't realise this was unusual.
  • A pair of Brolga near the highway just south of the Pine Creek bridge. Is this unusual?
  • A Jabiru flying near Minimi Newcastle.
  • No Indian Myna seen on the trip. This must be some sort of record.
Allan

Allan Benson
Niagara Park
NSW