birding-aus

Pheasant Coucal at Mount Isa

To: "Birding Aus Messages" <>
Subject: Pheasant Coucal at Mount Isa
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:50:38 +1000
g'day all,

The 1984 Atlas of Aust Birds (p304) resulted in only 3 records of Pheasant Coucals (PC) in the area within 200km of Mount Isa.

But their numbers & territory have been expanding.

I have been seeing them in the local area for the last couple of years.
And for the last few weeks I have been hearing one & sometimes two from home, which is on the edge of the residential area

But today, as I drove home from the Post Office I saw one walking just off the edge of the bitumen in front of my gate.
After it moved under some shrubs, I parked my vehicle at the gate.. I was only 5m from the PC as it walked very slowly amongst  the leaf letter until it, in a flutter of feathers turned 180 degrees and grabbed up a Gilbert's Dragon (or better known here as a Ta-ta lizard)
It took less than a minute to swallow.

As I type this I can hear one of them woo-woo-wooing

Which reminds me --Has anyone seen this species drinking ?

Regards,
Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Queensland.