birding-aus

GPS navigation units

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: GPS navigation units
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 23:50:02 +1100
David McDonald wrote:
Years ago Canberra Ornithologists Group purchases a couple of Magellan GPS 300/Pioneer receivers for atlassing. While they were fine for that purpose for a while, we have found that, after prolonged storage, they would not work properly. We sent them to Magellan in Perth for service and were advised, by the Magellan Service Manager, that they had become unserviceable. He said that such receivers need to be used reasonably frequently or they die. As a result, we have upgraded to parallel channel receivers and make sure we give them a chance to update their almanacs at least every two weeks.

Another important point with GPS receivers.  Never, ever, leave them
without a power supply (i.e. good batteries.)  They do have an internal
battery backup to retain information in memory, but it is non-rechargeable
and designed only to allow the batteries to be replaced.  If the battery
goes flat, the unit is "dead" until it is replaced (possible, but not
easy since it is not designed to be replaced.)  As long as the internal
battery is fine, a "dead" receiver should recover if it is left turned
on with a clear view of the sky until it can find a satellite and obtain
the almanac data.