birding-aus

Logrunner at Helensburgh

To: "Jamie Harris" <>
Subject: Logrunner at Helensburgh
From: "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 22:46:09 +1100
Hi Jamie

I think I've told you about my Logrunner encounters but here they are again
for others who may be interested. On October 12 last year I sighted a family
group of 3 (male, female & juvenile) foraging in deep leaf litter (in the
quaint Logrunner fashion) about 1.5 to 2km south of "Calala". The vision of
these beautiful and sadly rare birds is burnt into my eyelids, down to the
beautiful complimentary "bibs" on the two adults and the captivating
"foot-sweeping" foraging action which they all engaged in. They were quite
happy to ignore the company of an astounded birder for 5 minutes or more
before walking off into the undergrowth. They appeared again a minute or two
later and continued foraging for some time before departing again. I
subsequently reported the sighting on "Birdline".

Two weeks later, I was showing a Scottish tourist through this wonderful
birding area. I was describing my good fortune of two weeks earlier when, to
our astonishment, the Logrunners were there again; in exactly the same spot.
Again, they happily ignored our presence. Another two weeks later I
encountered the juvenile at the same spot again but he/she took a bit of
fright and retreated quite rapidly into the forest.

I've not seen them since, but have found those tell-tale bowl-shaped
scrapings in the leaves, which are characteristic of the species, at the
same spot on a couple of occassions. It has been a while since I have
checked the site due to fears of industrial deafness from cicadas. However,
as they are dying down a bit now I am heading back for another look soon.

This spot should not be known to only one person, so I would like other
interested folks to come and make note of the site so that it can be
monitored now and again. Anyone keen to come along is very welcome. Just

Talk to you soon and thanx for the Logrunner updates.

Regards - Ricki