birding-aus

Dogs at Lake Francis?!?

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Dogs at Lake Francis?!?
From: "Ricki Coughlan" <>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 17:31:39 +1000
Hi all

I dropped into Lake Francis (Cronulla) today just to see what may be wading,
dipping and dabbling about there at this time of the year. Predictably, it
was pretty quite except for :

30+ Pacific Black Ducks
20+ Chestnut Teals
1 Australian Pelican
2 Australian White Ibis
1 Silver Gull
3 Black-winged Stilts
2 Lesser-brained Ignoramus
1 Unleashed German Shepherd

I couldn't believe that two people could both get together and think that it
was a good idea to go for a walk with a full-grown German Shepherd along the
shores of a well signposted area set aside for migratory waders. Okay, the
place was hardly teeming with waders but the fact is that the dog was off
its leash and allowed to barge, unrestrained, into the water where it gave
chase to the ducks which had congregated to shelter from the rather strong
winds. The fact that the LBI's didn't care today means that these fools have
not cared in the past and would not care in the future. On approaching the
LBI's and informing them of the importance of the area and suggesting that
anywhere else in the Shire was better for dog walking, the larger male LBI
raised his crest and responded with a rude and dismissive "shut up" and
"piss off". Not happy Jan!!

When I saw that UGS chase the ducks I couldn't help but think of the fool
who had a picnic on nearby Spit Island recently, along with his mates and a
dog. That ignornat fool's actions led to the destruction of the Little Tern
breeding community there.

What I'd like to know is if anyone out there can tell me if Lake Francis is
covered by the NPWS jurisdiction over the Towra Point Reserve? If so, they
may wish to have the car rego details of the LBI's.

TIA - Ricki