birding-aus

colour banded waders

To: "Phil Straw" <>, Tun Pin Ong <>
Subject: colour banded waders
From: Rod Gardner <>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:13:29 +1000
Dear Phil and  Tun-Ping,

The first orange-flagged Red Knot arrived at Penrhyn Rd on 6th October,
one of twelve birds on that day. The previous day there were four, all
without colour bands. The first Red Knots I saw were on 29th September.

There were some other intriguing colour banded birds - I've sent the
records to Clive Minton, and he's till trying to track some of these
down:

25th August, three colour-banded Double-banded Plovers, one with a
red band on the left leg, one with red on left and yellow over orange on
the right, and one with red on left and white over blue on the right. There
were 14 DbPs in total. Anyone know the origin of these? Apparently they
were not banded in NZ.

Another intriguing one was a Red-necked Stint on 6th October in  group of
twelve with orange over green - from memory on the left leg. Orange means
banded in Victoria and green means banded in SE Queensland, so does this
combination mean it was banded twice, once in each place?

Rod Gardner

The orange-flagged Red Knots have been at Penrhyn Estuary for at least a
week. We saw them when I was leading a wader outing for the Cumberland Bird
Observers Club on 9th October. We encourage any sightings of these birds
because it gives us and idea when the birds arrive in Sydney and when they
leave for Victoria/NZ. Any sightings should be sent to Clive Minton at
although he often picks up sightings from
birding-aus. It is good to get a brief description of how many birds are
there at the time with the flagged birds. Yes, the orange flags are from
Victoria.

By the way Rufous-necked Stints are known as Red-necked Stints in Australia.
Sorry, I lost your email address.

Phil

Phil Straw
--