birding-aus

Birds on Kangaroo Island

To: <>
Subject: Birds on Kangaroo Island
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 06:36:16 +1000
On our recent first trip to Kangaroo Island we saw a couple of interesting flocks of birds.  I've already mentioned this to the Canberra folk so apologies for repetition.

Evening of 6 October (and again mid-day 8 October) a flock of approximately 1,000 banded stilts and 100 red-necked avocets in the lagoon opposite Wisanger sports club (near the Bay of Shoals).

Mid-day 8 October a flock of about 300 yellow-tailed black-cockatoos feeding on the ground in a paddock beside the main road 3km South of Kingscote.  I couldn't see what they were eating.

Martin Butterfield