birding-aus

Info on What birds eat What Fruits

To: "Janice England" <>, <>
Subject: Info on What birds eat What Fruits
From: "Alan Leishman" <>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 09:28:51 +1100

Janice,

There is a very wide range of papers and books on the subject. You may like to check some of the following:

Floyd, A.G. (1989) Rainforest Trees of Mainland South-eastern Australia. Inkata Press Sydney.  (Provides a good list of rainforest trees and what birds feed on them)

There is a range of papers by A.B. Rose on the food of birds mostly published in The Australian Bird Watcher and Corella.

Franklin, D.C. & Noske, R.A. (2000) Nectar sources used by birds in monsoonal north-western Australia: a regional survey. Aust. J. Bot. 48:461-474.

Lea, A.M. & Gray, J.T. Published 5 papers on the food of Australian Birds in the Emu 1935 to 1936.

Buchanan, R.. (1989) Pied Currawongs (Strepera graculina): their Diet and Role in eed Dispersal in suburban Sydney, NSW. Proc. Lin. Soc. 111: 241- 255.

Wood, K.A. (1998) Seasonal Change in Diet of Pied Currawongs at Woolongong, NSW. Emu 98:157-170.

Loyn, R.H. & French, K. (1991) Birds and environmental weeds in south-eastern Australia. Plant Protection Quarterly 6: 137-149.

Recher, H.F., Date, E.M. & Ford, H.A. (   ) The Biology and management of rainforest pigeons in NSW. NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service. Sydney.

Gosper, C.R. (1999) Plant food resources of birds in coastal dune communities in NSW. Corella 23: 53-62.

Innis, G.J. (1989) Feeding ecology of fruit pigeons in subtropical rainforests of south-eastern Queensland. Aust. Wildlife Research 14: 365-393.

Ford, H.A. & Paton, D.C. (1986) The Dynamic Partnership: Birds and plants in southern Australia. Govt Printer S. A.

Regards,

Alan Leishman

Alan Leishman, National Herbarium of NSW, Botanic Gardens Trust, (part of NSW Department of Environment & Conservation), Mrs Macquaries Road, Sydney, NSW  Australia 2000. Tel: +61-2-9231 8166. Fax: +61-2-9241 2797. email: m("rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au","alan.leishman");">